Follow FilmMinion on Twitter  

Thursday, July 1, 2010

50 Best Shot Films of the Decade (1998-2008)

50,000 voters at the American Cinematographer have listed the best photographed films of the decade (which is actually 1998-2008, so no Avatar, in case you were wondering). Here's the top ten:

1. Amélie: Bruno Delbonnel, ASC, AFC (2001)
2. Children of Men: Emmanuel Lubezki, ASC, AMC (2006)
3. Saving Private Ryan: Janusz Kaminski (1998)
4. There Will Be Blood: Robert Elswit, ASC (2007)
5. No Country for Old Men: Roger Deakins, ASC, BSC (2007)
6. Fight Club: Jeff Cronenweth, ASC (1999)
7. The Dark Knight: Wally Pfister, ASC (2008)
8. Road to Perdition: Conrad L. Hall, ASC (2002)
9. Cidade de Deus (City of God): César Charlone, ABC (2002)
10. American Beauty: Conrad L. Hall, ASC (1999)


I don't understand the #1 choice - it's a very "pretty" film, but I wouldn't call it the best of the decade. Amélie is not a bad movie, I just don't understand the over-hype surrounding it. It's a nice little story that is visually stunning, but not mind-blowing like some of the other films on the list.

I would put There Will Be Blood at the top of my list. I haven't seen City of God, so I can't speak for it. But, the others deserve inclusion - I just can't agree with #1.

See the rest of the list here: 50 Best Photographed Films of the Decade (listed in full at thefilmstage.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment